Some interesting links about secularism and humanism:
Dalai Lama
The milk of humanist kindness
And an interesting links in science vs. religion at a recent forum:
A full quotation of an article from the New York Times
Wednesday, November 22, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
It's nice that people think about these things, but what I don't like about humanism is that it's the same as religion except that each person takes out the bits they don't like.
But then people have been doing that with religion for years as well...
I don't necessarily agree with the views expressed in those articles, mostly because they were interesting or thought provkoing for me.
I disagree with you though in that no matter what the conclusion, they do not become from the same beginnings. Humanism begins(or tries to begin) with rationality, whereas religion bgins with irrationality.
Humanism tries to see if there are actual rational reasons for our morals and so on, rather than just presuming our morals and using an using something like faith(inherently irrational) to justify it.
Though for all that to make sense properly you'd need to hear my views on the difference between faith and belief. And it's a bad idea to get me started.
I can imagine.
Post a Comment